Monday, April 18, 2011

Tanner up at 6 am sending his comp home:(, Carlos Baptism






This week´s been pretty crazy. We´ve had ups and downs, but we´ve seen miracles and we should see even more in the upcoming weeks.
Elder Hinojosa had to go home for his back. President decided that it would be better for him to rest 100% and have a faster recovery than for him to work at 50% and hurt himself worse. It was rough for him, but he had a good attitude and was a great comp. He´s going to have to be in Santiago for a few months and hopefully he can return. if he has to have surgery he will be honorably released and be done with his mission. We´re hoping that doesn´t happen.
I´m now working with Elder Roberts who I replaced, and who was called as Assistant. He´s going to be here for a couple of weeks to teach me the sector, guide me around the city, and help me find the houses of members, less actives, and investigators. We´ve been here together for two days and we´ve already seen miracles.
Miracle number one is that Carlos was baptized yesterday! It was such a spiritual day at church and I loved it cuz I was able to pass the sacrament, and I felt the spirit so strong while I was doing it. I didn´t fully appreciate the beautiful responsibility that I had as a deacon to bear the emblems of Christ´s sacrifice for others to receive the cleansing of their sins. I also was able to give a talk about mission work. I used the scriptures from Section 18 from the Doctrine and Covenants, which is one of my favorite sections. It speaks about how the worth of souls is great in the sight of God, and how for that reason Christ suffered and was resurrected for us all, but that he can´t do it all alone and so we are called to the work, and to help us he has given us the tools of His gospel (the scriptures) adn the power of his spirit. It teaches beautifully the importance of all working together adn how God views us as His co-workers in the vineyard.
After church we had a lesson with a wonderful sister named Evelyn. She has already read the Book of Mormon all the way through and has started it for the second time. Her two daughters are recent converts, one of which is the person that invited Carlos to church. She hasn´t been able to be baptized due to her husband, but now he lets us in the house and I actually got to meet the guy yesterday and we gave him a big hug, and he acted as if we´d known each other for a long time. it was awesome. Love is power. During our lesson with Evelyn she expressed that she still wasn´t sure if she had received an answer to her prayers. She has a baptismal date for this Sunday, so we have really been focused on helping her. We asked her how she felt during the baptismal service and she told us she felt really really happy and that she had cried during it. We told her that God had already given her many answers and that was another one. She said she didn´t feel worthy yet to have God answer her, which is exactly how I felt before the mission. I told her how I was able to change my life and really come to know that God knew me and how He had answered my prayers and read her a scripture from 2nd Nephi 26:24-28 That reads that God doesn´t deny anybody and invites all to come and participate in His goodness and we testified that she had already received an answer. She said she knew it was true and that she´s going to be baptized this Sunday!! I ended the lesson in tears and told them how much I loved them, which is an incredible thing that I´ve learned on the mission, how to love. It amazed me that I´ve only been here a week, but I really did feel a profound love for that sister and her family.
We also found a golden investigator named Marco. His girlfriend, who´s in her 30´s and has two kids and is divorced, brought him to church and he´s loved it. He accepted a baptismal date also for this Sunday and we´re going to be preparing him at hyper speed to be able to achieve it. We taught him the Restoration and the spirit was so strong and he accepted everything so we felt that we should not delay in his preparation for baptism. We have many possibilities for miracles but we need all the prayers you can offer. I know that this is God´s work and that we are His hands. I love being a missionary, and am very sad that my time is winding down. But just as Brigham Young, I feel like shouting ¨hallelujah I´m still a missionary!!¨ I have 5 months left to help a lot of people come unto Christ.
I love you guys, and hope you have a great week!
Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment