Saturday, March 6, 2010

More Stories about the earthquake

Hey mom soooooooo I still have more stories to tell. Yesterday we went to a city called Constitution to help out in whatever way we could. This is a city two hours away from Talca that has been destroyed from the earthquake and later a tsunami. Hundreds died there and their still finding more people. We first went to a Ward there to help clean up the rubble around the Church and when we finished there we went to a high school to help collect food and clothes for the people there. The streets were just filled with soldiers from the army with huge rifles keeping the peace there. It was pretty cool cuz we got to work with them all day. We were planning on working until 7:00 pm and going home then, but at 4 pm our plans changed a little bit. As we were loading a bunch of boxes of milk I looked up and all of a sudden there were hundreds of people sprinting down the street screaming. We were all really confused until we could hear and understand what they were saying. ¨Corren, Corren a los cerros viene un otro tsunami¨ or run, run to the hills another tsunami´s coming. We all started running with the people and following the directions of the soldiers. It really was an experience that you only see in movies. It was something I never thought I’d have happen to me, this is what I was thinking as I was sprinting with hundreds of men, women, and children down the road and up the hill. We all got seperated from our group, but luckily I found 8 other elders and the stake president. We got into contact with all 29 other missionaries and everyone is fine. We waited there on the hill for about 15 minutes until we got the info that it was a false alarm! We all went back down the hill and to the reunion point that we choose before we arrived in the city. We waited a few hours for the other members and other missionaries to join with us and then got on the bus and returned to Talca. We got back to the city at about 9:30 pm and I am tired, but we’re all fine so there’s the new story from this crazy time here in Chile. The grocery store opened today so we bought a bunch of food and we’re all good, and are starting to work again in shirt and tie teaching people. Love you all and I’ll probably write you later Monday! Love yáll tons and talk to ya later!

Tanner

2 comments:

  1. This is so amazing. A lady in our ward today said that she had read a letter from the mission president over there in Concepcion about how his wife received revelation basically in a dream like two weeks before the earthquake. She said that she woke up in the middle of the night and thought, or more was told, that they needed to prepare the missionaries in the area for an earthquake. They then had some kind of meetings with the missionaries in the area and prepped them on what to do in case of an earthquake, told them to have emergency kits, and then they blessed all of the missionaries' houses. Have you heard this too? I was just wondering. Tanner is amazing and I know the Lord is blessing all the missionaries over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually the Santiago mission presidents wife.. Sister Laycock I believe. She was our mom on Heritage Tours - Ellen do you remember her? If you don't have the e-mail let me know and I'll forward it to you..

    Megan

    ReplyDelete