GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COUGAARRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay well I was super nervous to open my inbox to see what happened on Saturday, and was super happy to see the win!
So for immediate news here, my District Leader called and said that I’m staying here for another transfer. It was definitely a surprise as I’m completing a year in about a week. The truth is I thought for sure I was leaving and so I spent all day yesterday packing (I finished packing and so now I’ll have to unpack haha) and saying goodbye to everyone there were many tears shed and many gifts exchanged, but today they’ll have a surprise. Yesterday was a really eye opening experience for me as almost everyone in the ward thanked me for my service and the help that I’ve been here in Molina. I was in tears by the end of the meeting, and it was definitely hard yet satisfying to see the influence that God has had using me in His work. Last night we had a big family night with a sister in the ward who’s like my grandma here in Molina. She invited Joanna and her family, and also some other kids from the ward. We had a mini testimony meeting where it just turned into a thank you Elder Christenson meeting. I felt a little bit embarrassed having everyone direct their attention to me, but I really felt loved. Afterward we ate tacos!! The first Mexican food that I’ve eaten here in Chile aaahhh i´ve missed that so much. Afterward I gave Sebastian one of my BYU shirts, a Triple, and pictures of us and the family. Then we took some pics together and said goodbye.
I didn’t really sleep that well last night with a mix of feelings. I was excited for the chance to have a change, and get to know other places and people, but at the same time I felt that there was so much more that I could do here. One member told me that his nonmember wife told him that she would have liked to be taught by me. He’s the high priest group leader and his whole family is baptized, except for his wife. She knows all about the church and participates and everything, but just hasn’t been baptized so I hope that maybe I’ll be the instrument that finally helps get her in the family of Christ, so they can have an Eternal family. Her husband, Brother Arcos, came over this morning to talk to us about it, and he’s really happy and excited that I’m staying here. That’s just one example of the love and appreciation that’s been given to me from the members here in Molina.
On Saturday we ended the day at Camilo´s house having a BBQ. Camilo´s dad, Eduardo, and brother Nicolas both cried when we said goodbye, which surprised me cuz we haven’t shared as much with them as with the rest of the family. Nicolas gave me his favorite soccer jersey and signed it, which really means a lot, seeing as it’s his favorite possession that he has. I promised him that I’d send him a Lakers basketball Jersey, so take out some money from my account and if you could buy a Kobe Bryant Jersey he’d love that. He said he doesn’t like big clothes, so maybe a size small or medium. He’s a little bit shorter than me to give you an idea of how big he is.
Sebastian also gave me his favorite soccer jersey and wrote a note on the back with a sharpie as well. Maybe it doesn’t seem that big of a deal, but I’ve come to really understand with the culture here in Chile and the love they have for soccer, and also not having all the money in the world, that giving me these things really means so much. It’s a gift from the heart, and definitely not a material gift. Oh and Danitza moved back with her family and told me that I’m not leaving until I baptize her, so there we go. We’re going to keep on teaching her and baptize her shortly!
I really don’t know what to write as there’s been so many things going on recently. I talked with Elder Viana last night on the phone cuz he goes home tomorrow, and to thank him for the CD he sent me with ALL the photos that we took together in Talca!! That was fun to talk with my trainer and made me remember my Talca days, aaahhh the beginning of the mission was so awesome. I was just an innocent newby that had no responsibility and just followed his lead haha now I know how things work and there’s a lot more responsibility, but I LOVE IT!!
Tonight we’re going to have dinner/family night with the Oyarce family, and they still don’t know that I’m staying here. Diego Oyarce, their son, really is one of my good buddies here, and his mom told me he’s cried several times these last few days thinking that I’m leaving. His birthday’s tomorrow so we’re going to give him a good surprise tonight with the news that I’m staying haha and we’re also going to buy him a Nike soccer ball.
Anyways I really feel blessed to be here still in Molina, and I made a promise to God that if He would let me stay here that I’d work my butt off (can you say butt when talking to God?) I too hope that he has a sense of humor haha. So now that he’s answered my prayer it’s now my time to complete. We’ve found some really good people and I’m really excited for the potential that we have here. Molina really has been such a special place, but there’s been so much more drama and problems here. We’ve found a lot of people that have opened their heart to us, and really without saying it directly, are crying for help. I’m really excited to focus, study, and pray A LOT to finish out with some miracles here.
Thank you all so much for your support and for the great news about the cougars!! I hope you have a freakin awesome week, and seriously thank you thank you for all you do for me and for what you’re doing back at home in the ward and for each other. Keep it up. I just can’t give enough thanks to God for the blessings that he’s given me for my family, friends, and my Chilean family that I have now. I said to my comp that I can not imagine the feeling of getting to the Celestial Kingdom and hugging these people, knowing that I had a small part in their lives to help them get there. It’ll be incredible, we just have to keep moving forward being strong, cuz a lot of hardships are coming our way. ¡Hasta la Victoria!
Elder Tanner Christenson
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment