I’m going to answer all your questions and clarify some things that are going on first. About my mission debit card, they told me I should be getting it next week hopefully. As for my camera I haven’t heard anything....that sucker’s gone. So again I apologize cuz I feel bad, but yeah I’m going to need a new camera that I will protect with my life.
Thanks for all the info, I really do love love love hearing about what you’re all doing and it sounds like you all had a fun week and weekend. The pics were great!! The only thing I have to say about Jeff and Chelsi´s house is it looks gorgeous, and their yard looks really big too. Sounds like all that time studying paid off big time for Jeff. Also huge kudos for Jardin, kid has talent for just building stuff, and everything he does looks great! Kids look good, Mckay looks a lot better when completely covered by a tent, so we don’t have to look at his face, and the dog’s tails look great too haha. Oh yeah that pic with Addie and Cadence is crazy, honestly they both look like their moms. It was weird to see mini versions of Chels and Ash.
Starting with my Pres. His name is President Humphrey if I hadn’t already told you. He served in the Argentina north mission, and his wife doesn’t speak any Spanish at all. She was really nervous talking to us for the first time, and I kinda felt bad for her, but they’re both great. It was really cool cuz President Humphreys mission President was Elder Richard G. Scott (yes that Richard G. Scott) and so he set apart our President and his wife. In his blessing to Sister Humphrey he told her by his Apostolic authority, that she would have the Gift of Tongues. Cool cool stuff, also our President hadn’t spoken Spanish for about 35 years, but he spoke really really well, but it was still weird to hear a gringo accent instead of President Chavez. We only had a mini conference that wasn’t as long as our normal conferences, but yes I did receive my package and thank you so much! The new razor you sent me is great as I’m no longer cheese grating my face with my old one haha. Obviously I love the candy too (mmmmmmm twizzlers) and I look forward to more letters and pictures in the future, p.s. congrats Mckay for being taller than Jardin (and probably me too by now DANG IT!!!!!!) oh well I look forward to our first wrestling match, when I get back, to put you back in your place and humble you.
We received some news about changes that will be going on in the mission here. The Prophet and the Apostles sent President Humphrey down here with some specific instructions. We will no longer be having conferences every 6 weeks like before. Now we will have interviews and conferences every 12 weeks.....boo!! But some interesting news as well. The President himself and the Assistants will be going to the Elders sectors to work with them and visit our investigators. That will be cool and interesting, hopefully we have a good day planned for when President comes.
We had a decent week, we don’t have very many people to teach right now so we’re doing a lot of searching and contacts. I believe the hearts of the people are becoming more hardened as we’re not seeing too much success. It’s been a bit frustrating these last two weeks with our finding efforts. The mission’s standard of excellence is to have 12 new investigators every week (which almost no one accomplishes) but last week we only had 2, and they were weak new investigators. This week we upped it a little bit to 4, finding 2 of them yesterday (cool story about that coming up) Goals and hopes for this upcoming week is that Camilo will be baptized, he told us that he wants to do it this Sunday. We’re working well, and with patience with that family. His mom Vicki is sooo awesome but soooo stubborn haha. We cannot get her to come to church, but she made the compromise that she would start reading the book of mormon, which is huge cuz before she wouldn’t even let us teach using it and would always ask ¨and where does it say that in the Bible¨ Anyways her first night she read to 1 Nephi 16. The next day she was in 2 Nephi 12.....she reads ridiculously fast, and she understands everything and is learning and feeling the spirit. She thanked us for having so much patience with her and her family and for always coming back cuz she told us there’s a different feeling in her home now. We’ve had some really special lessons with them just choosing random chapters from the Book of Mormon and reading them together. We read Moroni 7 last time and it was awesome, a really special spirit was there. Pray for them. We weren’t able to visit Katherine this week for some problems she was having. One day we went over and her neighbor (who she was really close to) had died and she was bawling. The other times we tried to go over she was out of town, but we talked to her last night and she’s reading and praying and was so happy to see us. We’re going over there tomorrow.
Yesterday was a really special day for me. First off Fernanda and Kiara were confirmed!! Then we had fast and testimony meeting, and here they are really special. All the members tell us how much they love us and how much we mean to them in their testimonies haha like 10 people thanked us in their testimonies. The best part was that one of our investigators named Maria Alicia, who is so shy and timid and is always depressed and sad, got up and bore her testimony about her desire to be baptized. She looked happy and confident and thanked us for our patience with her (she can’t stop smoking) She bore her testimony of Christ and it was really special, I teared up a little bit. Kiara and Fernanda both bore their testimonies too, and there’s just something cool about converts testimonies. They’re so special and new that the spirit was really strong as they spoke. Fernanda´s was especially powerful. Fernanda said how grateful she was to have found the true Gospel to help her get through this hard time, and that she’s excited to share this message with her friends and family so that they too can have it in their lives. Her dad told us that he wants us to teach him and that he wants to attend church, but that he’s going to need a little time. It’s just them two, Fernanda and her dad, that are living here now. Anyways it was a great meeting. After church we went out to do some more contacts and visit some people that told us we could come back. We went to a family who the father is a less active member. His wife answered and we talked for a second until she told us ¨I already know all this stuff, and all about religion, I already go to a church so don’t waste your time on us!¨ aaaaaand shut the door. I was so frustrated I just wanted to break something haha as we were walking to our next appointment I was thinking way negatively. I was thinking about all the people who don’t understand how much time and efforts we’re putting in just to help them and their families, and that I was just wasting my time and we weren’t helping anyone. All were just negative thoughts Satan was putting in my head. Anyways we were going to visit Katherine, when I suddenly thought about a family that lived closed by. We had talked to the dad, Ramon, for only 5 minutes about a month ago, we had never shared with them a full lesson and I hadn’t even written down his address. But we went and knocked on their door. His wife answered and let us in. She is an inactive member with two kids of 14 and 15. She told us her story about how she got lost in life and for some reason recently she’s been thinking a lot about God. She and her husband have been thinking about separating. The other day she was praying and then went into a Taxi that had scriptures in audio playing, she said she felt a lot of peace while listening to it. Then we showed up, and she felt it wasn’t a coincidence. They were all very receptive and her kids accepted baptismal dates for the 1st of August. We have a return appointment for Tuesday. I was very surprised and grateful that I listened to that impression to go visit them. God works in mysterious ways, and even through his negative, stubborn, and prideful servants (me) he helps his children when they need him most.
Anyways that was a really long email and my fingers hurt haha I love you guys tons and thanks for all you do, you’re all awesome!!!
Love you tons
Tanner
No comments:
Post a Comment